Tournament of Champions!

Hey there folks! I have been playing MCP here and there over the last few months, and I'm onto a new concept! Introducing...

The Tournament of Champions!

OK, not the most original name, but it's the first name that came to my head and it's stuck now. The inspiration for the tournament is that I've collected way too many MCP toys and I want to love all of my MCP toys equally! It's genuinely tough to pick an affiliation whenever I play, and I'm also always wondering: "Which is the best?" I'm not sure there is a way to answer that question, and I'm sure that this isn't it, but I'm definitely excited to see everyone face up! To set the tournament up, I created a bracket:


X-Force were added after this picture were taken to face Guardians of the Galaxy in round 1. I'll introduce all of the rosters here with a short description of their identity, what crises they like, and who are the core heroes.

Avengers: Steve Rogers reduces power costs by 1 for early game shenanigans, and Versatile Strategy enables Sam to take over when the Dazes and K.O.s start to roll in. Baron Zemo, Heimdall, Ghost Spider, Black Cat, Black Panther, Iron Man, and Luke Cage form a durable core of heroes that love abusing Steve's leadership. Likes to play wide on multiple-extract crises like cubes and secures with lots of objectives.

X-Men / X-Force: See my other blog post about my X-Men / X-Force roster!

Black Order: At 16 threat, Thanos/Corvus/Proxima, 17=Thanos/Corvus/Gamora, 18+ are Corvus-led Black Order teams featuring Black Swan with Power Gem, Black Dwarf, Ebony Maw with Space Gem, Proxima, and whatever fighting splash characters you want to bring. Corvus always brings his Reality Gem!

Syndicate: I don't own Shadowlands Daredevil yet, so Kingpin leads the syndicate and focuses on staying alive on objectives to win the game early. Crossbones, Hood, Kingpin, Black Cat, Bullseye are core, with any durable hero splashed in. Hulkbuster is used to counter teams with high melee threats like Black Order or Defenders.

Midnight Sons: Blade, Ghostrider, Black Cat are core. The team is a high-mobility attrition team that wants to bring Dr. Strange and Iron Fist for maximum value on Siege of Darkness. Prefers missions with low objective count to focus strength on one area of the board and use Black Cat to steal individual objectives.

Asgard: Focuses on attrition, with Mind Stone Loki providing control. Thor, Angela, Loki with Power Stone are preferred team members but high threat, so Hela, Enchantress, Heimdall, Skurge and Valkyrie are used if a wide team is necessary. Tries to set up a high value turn with Doomed Prophecy, and prefers "pay to flip" missions to leverage their increased power gain.

Spider-Foes: Attrition-based team with wide composition that includes lots of tricky plays. Venom, Mysterio, Kraven, Lizard provide useful utilities while Goblin, Venom, and Lizard are solid attrition heroes, and good team tactics cards. Infinity Formula is best secure to provide some power generation and to increase effect of control element. All extract choices are OK.

Brotherhood: Flexible team that offers two play-styles. One is a tall attrition-based team with Magneto, Scarlet Witch, and Rogue forming the core, with other characters who benefit from Magneto's power generation. Mystique offers an objective playstyle, using Juggernaut and Gambit, Toad, and Sabretooth to form a wide team.

Defenders: One-trick pony focused on Dr. Strange and Hulk. Dr. Strange buffs Hulk's defenses and heals him, while Hulk smashes the opponent. Hulk can change his damage type to energy or mystical with Dr. Strange's leadership, and Dr. Strange's tactics cards are not bad to give Hulk mobility or Seven Suns of Cinnabun attack with his leadership. Hawkeye and Luke Cage fill out the team.

Web Warriors: I'm not really sure how to win games with this team, but for the purposes of this tournament I will be taking a core of Miles, Gwen, and Venom, with Black Cat, Moon Knight and core set Spider Man being strongly considered for each match. From there I will try to get Infinity Formula or Gamma Wave and push/pull enemies off the objectives every turn, and try to get a massive "All Webbed Up" and somehow benefit from that.

Dark Dimension: Dormammu brings a cast of random heroes who either teleport him, protect/heal him, or really like getting an extra power each turn. I mainly focus on Clea, Hood, Heimdall, Iron Fist, and other 3 threats that can be resurrected but I am also using Omega Red sometimes for his pull.

Cabal: I don't own Malekith, so I am either running Red Skull or Sin as my leader. I think for this tournament I will play Cabal focused on Loki/Sinister and the combo with Loki's superpower and Root. I will bring Sin/Crossbones/Mystique for missions with lots of secures or extracts, and Red Skull otherwise. I will try to fit in MODOK and Ultron as needed.

Wakanda: Black Panther, Killmonger, are in every game, Shuri, Okoye are probably going to be in most. With "push" being a major theme of Black Panther, I could bring in another pushy hero like Iron Man. I could also shake things up and bring Hulk or Reality Corvus to lean on the attrition game Killmonger brings.

Convocation: With Convocation, all of the affiliated heroes are great and fit right into the game plan. I would mention Blade, Hood, and Space Gem Ebony Maw as solid additions to their mystical attrition strategy. Demons Downtown and Intrusions are the preferred secures, Alien Ship and Skrulls are the preferred extracts.

Guardians of the Galaxy: I think Rocket/Groot are a great and fun hero combination, and Drax, Ronan, Gamora, and Nebula are all solid and fun to play with, so this team builds itself. I like all of their team tactics cards too, so drop in your favorite restricted Tactics cards and have a fun game of MCP!

Special shout-out to AMG for making such a fantastically complex game! I just love how there are over 15 different ways to build your team, with each team having lots of viable combinations. And they each feel thematic according to the Marvel lore and interact differently with the game's missions! So much fun!

Comments

Popular Posts